100 g olive margarine
150 g of milk or dark chocolate
3 whole eggs
4 egg whites
150 g of soft light brown sugar
150 g of wholemeal self raising flour
200 g fresh beetroot grated (be careful not to use pickled!)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
2. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
3. Melt the olive margarine in a pan over a gentle heat, add the chocolate and continue stirring till melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Separate the eggs, placing the whites into a large clean mixing bowl and whisk till stiff peaks start to form.
5. Combine the yolks, grated beetroot, sugar and cooled melted chocolate mixture. Mix with a fork.
6. Add the flour to the beetroot and chocolate mix and mix to combine but be careful not to over mix.
7. Fold in the egg whites gently making sure they don’t deflate.
8. Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 20-24 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they bounce back when pressed in the centre.
Can be frozen for up to 3 months, perfect for popping into lunchboxes for a school time treat!