After spending the last 12 months nurturing every mouthful that your baby takes, you want to make sure that their first celebration cake gets top marks from a nutritional perspective too. This cake is made without refined sugar, sweetened only by the natural sugars found in bananas and dates. Wholemeal flour and fruit provide fibre making it great for tiny tums and we use healthy fats from olive oil spread in the recipe to boost heart health.
200 g of softened olive margarine
4tsp vanilla extract
4tsp ground cinnamon
300g of white self-raising flour
300g wholemeal self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
2 large overripe bananas
250g of dried dates
300ml whole milk
300ml whipping cream
Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
No 1 candle!
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Grease two 7 inch cake tins and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
3. Place a small bowl of cold water in the bottom of the oven.
4. In a microwave safe container add a tablespoon of water to the dried dates and microwave covered for 2 minutes.
5. Add the 2 bananas to the microwaved dates and purée until smooth with a blender.
6. In your mixer or a clean bowl combine eggs, pureed fruit and olive margarine and mix until fully incorporated.
7. Add the vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa powder and stir.
8. Add spoons of flour then milk, alternating each and mixing in between each addition until both are used up.
9. Divide the cake batter equally into the two tins.
10. Place side by side on the same shelf in your pre-heated oven.
11. Bake for approximately 40 minutes but check your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer or cocktail stick into the centre. If it comes out clean it’s cooked, if not return to the oven for a further five minutes.
12. Allow to cool a little in the tin then turn out onto a cooling tray.
13. Remove the baking paper carefully and allow to cool completely.
14. Five minutes before serving top with whipped cream spiked with vanilla extract and decorate with your baby’s favorite fruits.
15. Take a picture and sing ‘Happy Birthday’!!