2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 courgette, grated
1 red pepper, diced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Aprox 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Aprox 1 tsp sugar
1 small tin of anchovies
- Open the anchovies and pour a little oil into a large saucepan, add the the onion, courgette and pepper and gently fry till softened.
- Add the crushed garlic and gently fry, being carful not to allow it to burn.
- Add the tins of chopped tomatoes ad bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering add the anchovies and stir through to break up - they will dissolve into your tomato sauce.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar to balance the flavours, the amount you need will vary depending on the tomatoes so add gradually and taste till you get it right.
- Simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little then blend till smooth with a hand blender.
- Enjoy as a nutritious base to home made pizza's or delicious as a pasta sauce.